Thursday, December 14, 2006

Got a new Prospect in the post today

I did some real slap-happy painting with this cartoon for the January 2007 issue of Prospect (Good Heavens, the new year jobs have begun already). I've done a bunch of art-related cartoons over the years, but not too many Magritte's, which is odd because he strikes me as the most cartoony of artists, well, outside the Lichtenstein, Warhol, Blake pop art circuit. I mean, c'mon, that's a skyful of Herge's Thomson Twins, no? Or are the Thomson Twins really an homage to Magritte?


2 comments:

Royston Robertson said...

Ha, they do like a Magritte cartoon at Prospect ;-)

Rod McKie said...

Ah yes, your fruit cartoon Royston. It's very funny. I think Charles Barsotti had a Magritte cartoon in the NYKR recently. A baseball gag. Is he the most poptastic surrealist? Moreso even than Dali?