Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sorry about my tardy posting of late, the good news is it was down to laziness, not ill-health. I've also been meandering around Edinburgh during Festival Fringe time, which takes a lot of energy.

You'll be pleased to know, maybe, that although I haven't been posting, I've been keeping abreast of the times, and reading a lot about cartooning via Twitter. I don't know if I've mentioned this to you before but I have modelled my life after Melanie Griffiths character in the movie Working Girl, seriously, I collect all the clippings and snippets I can, that relate to cartoons and comics and publishing and the like, and I read them like a sort of meta-text, in relation to one another, in order to create a sort of dumbed-down edited narrative, that I can understand.

I realised at some point during this decade, not sure exactly when but it probably came to me and surfaced during a post on TCJ Forum, that we are living through a period where, for Marxist historians, the antithesis, indie comics, and the thesis, mainstream comics, have merged and the establishment, mainstream publishers, have begun to appropriate the medium. This period is bound to be one of upheaval, as the formally indie cartoonists and writers take over the mainstream titles that will survive, and try to create new characters, if the system will let them. And of course if the system does not let them, then the very brightest stars will be lured away to smaller comic book publishers who will allow them to stretch their creative wings.

No comments: