Monday, June 11, 2007

London 2012 and the Waffen SS logo


What an absolute disgrace that piece of shit, clunky, SS-like, logo for London 2012 is. I mean, it fails on so many levels it is difficult to know where to begin. Some people have commented on the logo's likeness to some bad 1980s fonts and even it's similarity to some MySpace site designs, but I think it bears startling similarities to a much older design:

Okay, I don't know about you but connotations of the Waffen SS in any signs and symbols makes me distinctly uneasy. You would think, wouldn't you, that the London Mayor, Ken Livingston,given his history, would certainly want to steer clear of that sort of thing.


On the other hand, I hear you say, things are looking up if one can pick up £400,000 - that's right, about $800,000 - for designing a clunky font. Don't know about you, but I'm off to brush up on my Fontographer skills right now.

No comments: