Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Basil Wolverton in Glorious 3D



These Basil Wolverton drawings appeared in Ray Zone's The 3D Zone Presents The Weird Tales of Basil Wolverton, which was published in 1987.

As you might expect they are in 3D, and you really need the comic and a pair of paper glasses with a blue lens (right) and a red lens (left) to experience the full effect.

I always loved the 3D comics, they were strange and exotic, but I always strained to make them work better, peering in from a side angle, or lying on the couch and holding the comic book behind my head and leaning backwards to see if that added some depth - it never did.


Of course I've just ramped up the blue and red levels here, but I couldn't resist that; especially with the pages from Brain Bats of Venus (Karswell has posted the story in glorious colour on his excellent blog, click here), which is just about the most brilliant Basil Wolverton story ever. It strikes me that you can see in that story, how Wolverton managed to capture something of the same magic that Fletcher Hanks captured, but obviously with more technical drawing ability.


3 comments:

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for this, Rod. Wolverton rules! I wish I had a pair of 3-D glasses at hand to look at your cool, ramped up scans.

Rod McKie said...

If only we had kept the old pairs that came with the comics, Mike.

I think the most recent ones I got had grey lenses; for Jaws 3D - bit of a wsh-out.

Smeghead2068 said...

You can get paper specs on eBay for about 2 bucks. I just bought a half dozen because I tend to loose them.